Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Stuff I Have Found Interesting Today

Freakonomics had The True Cause of College-Tuition Inflation? which has me hoping they get it before I have to pay for it.

I found Scott Berkun from and he had some interesting posts.  Advice for new managers and Top ten reasons managers become great on management.The most interesting was Job loss map (coolness & badness) which basically just point you to http://www.slate.com/id/2216238/ which is amazing for us visual folks.
 
 
Is the Supremacy of Object-Oriented Programming Over? from Object Mentor Blog by Dean Wampler is an interesting take on the current practice of OO and the rise of functional programming. It is a good read if you are interested in that stuff like I am. It talks a bit about concurrency which leads me to the next one.
 
Which links to The Free Lunch Is Over: A Fundamental Turn Toward Concurrency in Software. and is kind of a rebuttal to the it. I think the poster has some good points. One of my many blogs talked about the key to performace is getting the computer to do less. I think lack of simplication is what dooms most large systems and a focus on essentials will lead to better and faster systems.


In the Scrumdevelopment Yahoo group I found a post that made me go huh? Introduction and question about dividing a scrum team in which the guy wants to split his team into 3 2-person "teams" to parrallizwe the work stream?!?!? Ron's response put him in his place with the following recommendations:

0. Have a real PO set the priorities;

1. Do not split the team;

2. Work on things in true priority order;

3. Recognize that working on everything is not an example of 2.

What's weird is that I blogged back two days ago about a situation that wasn't too far off from this one situation. 


No comments: