Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Jon Stewart on Crossfire

I just read Stewart Caught in the Crossfire on Slate. I missed this live, but with the internet, do you really miss anything. I have never seen a more honest person on a political talk show. I wish Jon Stewart did a show that was serious. I don't think many people would watch it, but I would. For those like me (with a short attention span) the transcript offers some of what really happened (although I think you have to see it!)

STEWART: See, the thing is, we need your help. Right now, you're helping the politicians and the corporations. an we're left out there to mow our lawns.

BEGALA: By beating up on them? You just said we're too rough on them when they make mistakes.

STEWART: No, no, no, you're not too rough on them. You're part of their strategies. You are partisan, what do you call it, hacks.
...
STEWART: ... is that the news organizations look to Comedy Central for their cues on integrity.
...
STEWART: I would love to see a debate show.

BEGALA: We're 30 minutes in a 24-hour day where we have each side on, as best we can get them, and have them fight it out.

STEWART: No, no, no, no, that would be great. To do a debate would be great. But that's like saying pro wrestling is a show about athletic competition.

STEWART: But the thing is that this -- you're doing theater, when you should be doing debate, which would be great.

BEGALA: We do, do...

STEWART: It's not honest. What you do is not honest. What you do is partisan hackery. And I will tell you why I know it.

STEWART: You know, the interesting thing I have is, you have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably.

CARLSON: You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think.

STEWART: You need to go to one.

Enough is enough. I could have quoted the whole thing! Sorry for the length. Watch it or read it for yourself.

No comments: